Upcoming Events
  • May 9-> Blood Drive on Campus - Donate if you can!
  • May 10-> FIELD DAY!!
  • May 13-14 -> SENIOR FINAL EXAMS
  • May 13-> AP Calculus Exam
  • May 14-> AP Physics C Exam
  • May 15-> AP World History and AP Comp Sci Exams
  • May 16->AP Spanish and AP Bio Exams
  • May 16-> Underclassmen Awards Night and NHS Induction Ceremony
  • May 17->AP Physics Exam
  • May 20-> Senior Breakfast
  • May 21-> Senior Walk
  • May 21-23-> FINAL EXAMS - schedule coming soon
  • May 22-> Senior Trip
  • May 23-> Grad practice 10 a.m.
  • May 23-> Last Day of School (early release at 2:30 p.m.)
  • May 24- GRADUATION for Class of 2024 at PHS 4 p.m.
The Student News Site of Hill Country College Preparatory High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Righting The Wrongs: A Holistic Review of “COWBOY CARTER”

This cover image released by Parkwood/Columbia/Sony showsAct II: Cowboy Carter by Beyonce. (Parkwood/Columbia/Sony via AP)
Blair Caldwell
This cover image released by Parkwood/Columbia/Sony shows”Act II: Cowboy Carter” by Beyonce. (Parkwood/Columbia/Sony via AP)

“COWBOY CARTER” is arguably Beyoncé’s most influential and era-shaking album to date. In the album’s release, Beyoncé solidifies herself as an artist of many capabilities and ambitions with being the first black woman to ever top Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart. If we can take anything from “Lemonade” it’s that Beyoncé will get her revenge with a glimmer in her eye and ice in her veins. 

Beyoncé nods to her three-act trilogy, “COWBOY CARTER,” being act two, with most track titles having a word with a double-I. 

Across the 27 tracks of “COWBOY CARTER,” Beyoncé features a plethora of artists including Dolly Parton, Miley Cyrus, Post Malone, Tanner Adell, Brittney Spencer, Tiera Kennedy, Reyna Roberts, Willie Nelson, Linda Martell, and Shaboozey, even featuring a child of her’s, Rumi Carter. 

With a very prevalent chip on her shoulder in the opening track “AMERIICAN REQUIEM,” the pop icon includes lyrics like “Can you stand me?” displaying the nature of what the album is about. This is specifically nodded to in lyrics like “It’s a lot of talkin’ goin’ on while I sing my song,” which is what the album details at its core. 

Throughout the album, Beyoncé exemplifies the unforgiving and love-driven nature of motherhood. Songs such as “PROTECTOR,” “MY ROSE,” and “AMEN,” embody Beyoncé’s experience as a mother through and through with vulnerable descriptions of connection and love.

With masterful production, lyricism, vocals, and near perfect track order selection, “COWBOY CARTER” shouldn’t be denoted as just an album, rather as an experience. Despite this, the album wasn’t as enjoyable as act one of the trilogy, “RENAISSANCE.” While I listened to it all the way through, I felt as though this body of work wouldn’t be as enjoyable if you listened to just one track, it truly is an experience that gives me the same rush of chills each listen. It’d be criminal to deny Beyoncé’s ability to send a listener through an unbuckled emotional rollercoaster, having to hold themselves down through the highest of highs, lowest of lows, and flips upside down, all of which are upheld by Beyonce’s natural ability to craft an art piece, and use her voice as a paint brush.