Upcoming Events
  • May 9-> Blood Drive on Campus - Donate if you can!
  • May 10-> FIELD DAY!!
  • May 13-14 -> SENIOR FINAL EXAMS
  • May 13-> AP Calculus Exam
  • May 14-> AP Physics C Exam
  • May 15-> AP World History and AP Comp Sci Exams
  • May 16->AP Spanish and AP Bio Exams
  • May 16-> Underclassmen Awards Night and NHS Induction Ceremony
  • May 17->AP Physics Exam
  • May 20-> Senior Breakfast
  • May 21-> Senior Walk
  • May 21-23-> FINAL EXAMS - schedule coming soon
  • May 22-> Senior Trip
  • May 23-> Grad practice 10 a.m.
  • May 23-> Last Day of School (early release at 2:30 p.m.)
  • May 24- GRADUATION for Class of 2024 at PHS 4 p.m.
The Student News Site of Hill Country College Preparatory High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Hurricane Idalia’s Impact

rawpixel.com Free public domain CC image.
Hurricane Idalia makes landfall on Florida’s Coast. It’s estimated that this storm caused between $12 – 20 billion in damage.

Hurricane Idalia made landfall as a Category 4 on Aug. 30, 2023. The storm slammed Florida’s Gulf Coast and moved into the Carolinas as it progressed. This affected thousands of residents along the Gulf Coast.

“Storms that fall within Categories 3, 4 or 5 as major hurricanes are capable of causing significant loss of life and damage,” The National Hurricane Center said.

This storm had four related deaths according to the Associated Press. The hurricane caused damage in one of the poorest parts of Florida, raising the question of how this will impact the Florida economy. Residents were also encouraged to leave the area before the storm arrived.

“Don’t mess with this storm, don’t do anything that’s going to put yourself in jeopardy,” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said at a morning press conference on Aug. 30, 2023.

According to NBC, Hurricane Idalia’s storm surge rose up to 15 feet. The hurricane caused surges that have raised ocean levels around Florida. This led to massive flooding, that affected between 4,000 and 6,000 homes along the coast and prevented many people from being able to flee the area.

The hurricane caused 125-mile-per-hour winds that affected vital infrastructure needed for everyday life. Since 2017, the coast has been subject to six major hurricanes, all of which have had lasting effects on Florida’s infrastructure and economy. 

“Idalia may not go down in history as an especially costly event, but as climate change leads to more frequent storms that can intensify rapidly, events like it will grow more common over time,” Adam Kamins, director of regional economics at Moody’s Analytics, wrote in a report.