Upcoming Events
  • April 20 -> Jr./ Sr. PROM - Tickets on sale NOW!!!
  • April 23 -> US History EOC Exam - 11th grade only
  • April 26 -> NO SCHOOL
  • April 30 -> Algebra I EOC Exam - 9th grade Algebra students only
  • May 1 -> Rising Senior Night (for class of 2025 and their guardians!)
  • May 6 -> Senior Awards Night and Decision Ceremony
  • May 6-> AP Government and AP Art History Exams
  • May 7->AP Seminar Exam
  • May 8->AP Comp Sci A Exam
  • May 9-> Blood Drive on Campus - Donate if you can!
  • May 10-> FIELD DAY!!
The Student News Site of Hill Country College Preparatory High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Behind Scenes of National Honor Societies

The+National+Honor+Societies+sponsors+%28Mrs.+Cruz-Torres%2C+Mrs.+Fey%2C+and+Mrs.+Jones%29+pose+for+a+picture.+
Abbey
The National Honor Societies sponsors (Mrs. Cruz-Torres, Mrs. Fey, and Mrs. Jones) pose for a picture.

HCCPHS is a busy campus, with fundraisers, clubs, college applications, and more taking place, it can be easy to look past something new. Some campuses only have one National Honor Society, but HCCPHS has three: National Honor Society, National Spanish Honor Society, and the National Art Honor Society. 

Each is within its first two years of establishment, and all aim to provide a unique range of opportunities for upperclassmen on campus with qualifying GPAs and character. 

The National Art Honor Society is the newest addition to the organizations. Its focus is using the visual arts to give back to the community, and highlighting the school as a STEAM campus, not just a STEM school. 

“I do feel like the arts are always left out of belonging to a club or an organization to really help share their love of something, and spread it,” National Art Honor Society sponsor Mrs. Jones said. 

Last year Jones sent more students to VASE, the UIL Visual Art Scholastic Event, than most comprehensive high schools in Comal ISD–which is in the top 1.3% of all visual art programs in the state. 

“I wanted to provide an opportunity for these students to come together with their love of art, that’s really an individual art form,” Jones said. “But this is an opportunity for them to do something collaborative.”

The National Spanish Honor Society (NSHS) was founded primarily to offer an opportunity to a group of students who are excluded from societies like the National Honor Society because of a language or cultural barrier. 

“A student that I had a few years ago came from Mexico, and they didn’t allow her to be in the National Honor Society, just because she didn’t know the language [English],” National Spanish Honor Society sponsor Mrs. Cruz-Torres said. “She could not take the required AP classes to get into the NHS. And I felt bad for her because I thought that native [English] speakers were at an advantage.” 

NSHS is the first chapter to open in Comal ISD and is made up of students committed to taking AP Spanish Four. Their goal is to serve the community and spread their knowledge of Hispanic culture. 

“I think that first year was amazing,” Cruz-Torres said. “And I think that this year, that is our second year, is going to be way better than last year.”

The NSHS is currently undergoing elections and will have its inauguration in October.

The National Honor Society is a well-known organization, but is still in its formative years, as this is only the second year there have been upperclassmen. 

“I know, by definition, that National Honor Society kids tend to be very focused, and wonderful kids that are very much a part of the school,” NHS sponsor Mrs. Fey said. 

In the past, the NHS has organized campus clean-ups and different community drives. This year, they plan to continue this and implement new ways of volunteering, like starting a tutoring program with Spring Branch Middle School. 

“We look more at giving back,” Fey said. “We also don’t want NHS to be one more thing, it should be an honor you’ve already earned.”

The Honor Societies want students to take charge of their own service, while sponsors try to focus on facilitation and support. 

“I really want the students to run the chapter, and I just want to be the facilitator,” Jones said. “The teacher, the sponsor, there to support.” 

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Wingspan

Your donation will support the student journalists of Hill Country College Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Abbey Shultz
Abbey Shultz, Section Editor
Abbey Shultz is currently a junior at HCCPHS and is the section editor for opinion pieces and feature stories. She spends most of her free time listening to music, reading, and writing. She is an advocate for Oxford commas and wants to eventually go into a writing career. Her goal for her time with The Wingspan is to improve with every article.
Donate to The Wingspan

Comments (1)

Your comment will be approved by a staff member before being displayed publicly on the site.
All The Wingspan Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• S

Sienna PresleyOct 16, 2023 at 12:41 pm

This is an amazing piece of work- you have an extremely talented work. 🙂

Reply