Upcoming Events
  • May 9-> Blood Drive on Campus - Donate if you can!
  • May 10-> FIELD DAY!!
  • May 13-14 -> SENIOR FINAL EXAMS
  • May 13-> AP Calculus Exam
  • May 14-> AP Physics C Exam
  • May 15-> AP World History and AP Comp Sci Exams
  • May 16->AP Spanish and AP Bio Exams
  • May 16-> Underclassmen Awards Night and NHS Induction Ceremony
  • May 17->AP Physics Exam
  • May 20-> Senior Breakfast
  • May 21-> Senior Walk
  • May 21-23-> FINAL EXAMS - schedule coming soon
  • May 22-> Senior Trip
  • May 23-> Grad practice 10 a.m.
  • May 23-> Last Day of School (early release at 2:30 p.m.)
  • May 24- GRADUATION for Class of 2024 at PHS 4 p.m.
The Student News Site of Hill Country College Preparatory High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Hayao Miazaki’s Boy and Heron

This image releasedby GLIDS shows a scene from Hayao Miyazaki’s “The Boy And The Heron.” (Studio Ghibli/GKIDS via AP)

Adapted from Genzaboro Yoshino’s 1937 Japanese novel “How Do You Live?” Hayao Miyazaki’s newest film is set for release in United States theatres on Dec. 8, 2023. “The Boy and the Heron” is an animated fantasy-adventure film produced by Studio Ghibli for the general audience.

Studio Ghibli has described it as one of the most expensive Japanese films ever made and has primarily positive ratings across many cities after its secretive release in Japan.

The film has a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a seven-point seven out of ten on IMDb, and 87% of Google users liking the movie as of Oct. 5, 2023.

With a two hour and twenty-four-minute run time, it is also close to being one of the longest Studio Ghibli movies. “The Tale of Princess Kaguya” is a longer movie with a two hour and seventeen-minute running time.

In the film, Mahito is trying to adjust to a new town after his mother’s recent passing. He meets a heron and, as a result, is thrown into the supernatural world. Following Mahito’s adventure across the natural and supernatural world, the film utilizes the magic found in past movies produced by Studio Ghibli. Immersing the viewers in the universe Ghibli has created on the big screen since their first movie with Miyazaki, “Castle in the Sky,” released in 1985.

Containing a vast fanbase across both Japan and America, many people are excited to see the movie on the big screen in December. Even with the huge fan base, many people still do not know about the creation or release of the movie due to Studio Ghibli purposefully not putting much into the movie’s marketing.

“The Boy and the Heron” is a dark animated film that has taken viewers by storm, making fans in America who know of its release buzz with excitement. Originally, “The Boy and the Heron” was supposed to be Miyazaki’s final film, but Miyazaki is not yet ready to retire. Even though this is no longer his last film, that does not mean it is any less of a memorable movie.