Upcoming Events
  • May 9-> Blood Drive on Campus - Donate if you can!
  • May 10-> FIELD DAY!!
  • May 13-14 -> SENIOR FINAL EXAMS
  • May 13-> AP Calculus Exam
  • May 14-> AP Physics C Exam
  • May 15-> AP World History and AP Comp Sci Exams
  • May 16->AP Spanish and AP Bio Exams
  • May 16-> Underclassmen Awards Night and NHS Induction Ceremony
  • May 17->AP Physics Exam
  • May 20-> Senior Breakfast
  • May 21-> Senior Walk
  • May 21-23-> FINAL EXAMS - schedule coming soon
  • May 22-> Senior Trip
  • May 23-> Grad practice 10 a.m.
  • May 23-> Last Day of School (early release at 2:30 p.m.)
  • May 24- GRADUATION for Class of 2024 at PHS 4 p.m.
The Student News Site of Hill Country College Preparatory High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Steven Brown

Courtesy Steven Brown.

Steven Brown has been fascinated with technology for as long as he can remember, calling it somewhat of an obsession.

“You really need to have a passion to pursue a lot of stuff in engineering,” Brown said. “Most of the stuff I know is from something I saw on YouTube or in an article because I was curious and stayed up until 3:00 a.m. looking into it.” Brown was one of the founding members of the robotics club freshman year, and while things initially started slow, the club started gaining momentum his sophomore year.

Courtesy of Steven Brown.

“In freshman year, Robotics Club wasn’t distinguished,” he said. “It was just an idea a bunch of people had at the end of the year and we kind of just came together, we weren’t actually competing.”

The team made it to the state competition in just its first year of competition, and has done so each following year.

“The first robotics competition where we made it to State, there was a lot of just trial and error,” Brown said. “We were just having fun and didn’t really expect to go anywhere. It was very unexpected, but it was very cool to see our hard work pay off.”

Steven plans on attending and has already been accepted into the Colorado School of Mines to study electrical engineering with a focus on integrated circuits. His dream job is a position at Lockheed Martin, one of the largest aerospace and defense manufacturers in the world.

“I’ve had a fascination with a lot of Lockheed Martin planes for a long time, I feel like they’re very memorable and groundbreaking,” he said. “I want to eventually end up there and work on planes. It’d be cool to be a part of their next innovation.”

When reflecting on his tenure at HCCPHS, Steven undoubtedly considers the robotics club to be his greatest achievement.