Upcoming Events
  • May 9-> Blood Drive on Campus - Donate if you can!
  • May 10-> FIELD DAY!!
  • May 13-14 -> SENIOR FINAL EXAMS
  • May 13-> AP Calculus Exam
  • May 14-> AP Physics C Exam
  • May 15-> AP World History and AP Comp Sci Exams
  • May 16->AP Spanish and AP Bio Exams
  • May 16-> Underclassmen Awards Night and NHS Induction Ceremony
  • May 17->AP Physics Exam
  • May 20-> Senior Breakfast
  • May 21-> Senior Walk
  • May 21-23-> FINAL EXAMS - schedule coming soon
  • May 22-> Senior Trip
  • May 23-> Grad practice 10 a.m.
  • May 23-> Last Day of School (early release at 2:30 p.m.)
  • May 24- GRADUATION for Class of 2024 at PHS 4 p.m.
The Student News Site of Hill Country College Preparatory High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Russia-Ukraine War

Russia-Ukraine+War

UPDATED FEB. 23, 2024:

Russian government opposition leader Alexei Navalny died in the IK-3 Penal Colony prison in Russia. 

According to BBC News, Navalny’s death was attributed to Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS). This is a broad term for any biological situation that results in a quick, “sudden” death. Oftentimes, a victim of SDS does not show any warning signs of oncoming mortality. 

According to BBC on Feb. 23, Navalny’s mother was given the opportunity to agree to a secret burial or his body would be buried at the prison he passed away at. 

Navalny was serving an additional 19-year prison sentence for extremism charges, but was still able to have an influence on the media by accessing to his team of lawyers and other Russian government opposition associates. 

Before his death, Navalny was the founder of the Anti-Corruption Foundation and launched multiple anti-government campaigns. He ran for office with the interest of ending corruption in the Russian government and frequently criticized Vladimir Putin’s presidency.

UPDATE JAN. 26, 2024:

A Russian Military Plane was shot down near the border of Yablonovo, in the Russian city Belgorod near the Ukrainian border on Jan. 24, 2024, killing everyone aboard.

There were 65 Ukrainian prisoners of war, six flight crew members, and three Russian military personnel aboard the Russian Plane. According to the Russian Defense Ministry, the plane was en route for a prisoner swap.

According to Associated Press News, Russia claims that Ukraine shot the plane down using anti-aircraft missiles. However, Ukraine claims that Russia purposely shot the plane down to frame Ukraine, in hopes of decreasing international support for Ukraine.  

AS OF JAN. 19, 2024:

In the most recent news of the Russia-Ukraine War, Russia has produced even more drones, glide bombs, and ballistic missiles to use against Ukraine. Long-distant combat has been a major part of the war, and it seems that this strategy will continue to be deployed for the duration of the conflict. 

On Feb. 24, 2022, Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine. As of Jan.19, 2024, at least 10,000 civilians have been killed, 18,000 injured, and nearly 6 million refugees have fled Ukraine. With no evident indications of the war coming to a halt, these numbers are sure to rise.

At the beginning of the war, explosions were reported throughout the major cities of Kharkiv, Odesa, the Donbas region, and the capital city of Kyiv. Russian troops made contact in the cities of Mariupol and Odesa, where they launched ballistic and cruise missiles aimed primarily at military headquarters, airfields, and military depots. 

Missiles were also reported to have hit important Ukrainian infrastructure, such as the largest airport in Ukraine, the Boryspil International Airport. Russia attempted to establish air superiority but was met with opposition from Ukraine. Even in the abandoned cities of Pripyat and Chornobyl, President Zelenskyy stated that fighting between Ukraine and Russian soldiers had occurred. Russia bombarded Ukraine in hopes of a swift advancement but underestimated Ukraine’s military response. 

SEPT. 11, 2022: Ukraine achieved a major victory by forcing a Russian retreat from Kyiv. This forced Russia to abandon its hold on most of North-Eastern Ukraine.

SEPT. 21, 2022: Putin made his speech calling for his plan to mobilize at least 300,000 troops to attempt to retake their hold on Ukraine.

OCT. 5, 2022: Putin annexed the regions of Kherson, Donetsk, Zaporizhzhia, and Luhansk. In response to this, the U.S. ordered sanctions on at least 1,000 Russian people and companies.

DEC. 21, 2022: President Zelenskyy visited the White House. This was significant because this was the first time a foreign leader had visited the U.S. while their nation was at war since Winston Churchill was Prime Minister.

As the war continued, multiple nations came to the aid of Ukraine. On Jan. 25, 2023, the U.S. and Germany sent advanced battle tanks for Ukraine’s use.

FEB. 20, 2023: U.S. President Joe Biden visited President Zelenskyy in the capital of Ukraine. He had also announced an additional $500 million in assistance to Ukraine.