World Cup 2026 Comes to the U.S.

Levi Tapia, Copy Editor

This year’s World Cup was very exciting, keeping viewers and fans on the edge of their seats. The 2022 champion was Argentina, led by Lionel Messi. Over 1.1 billion people around the world watched the World Cup. The 2026 World Cup will be the only one held in North America.

The 2026 World Cup will be unlike any other. It will be held across three different countries: Mexico, the United States, and Canada. This has never been done before and it will be electrifying for fans. The World Cup matches will take place in 16 different stadiums across North America giving multiple opportunities to view the games. The teams playing are unknown as of right now since they have to play a qualifying match to make it to the World Cup. Some teams are automatically entered into the tournament like the U.S. Canada, and Mexico since they are the hosting countries.

“In 2026, Mexico has the chance to redeem itself after being eliminated,” said Sophomore Moises Alverado.

Two World Cup matches will be held in Texas. The hosting venues will be held at the NRG Stadium in Houston and the AT&T Stadium in Dallas. 

“I’m excited that the World Cup games are near us and not across the world,” said Sophomore America Castillo.

The International Federation of Association football, also known as FIFA, chose these countries because they felt that this would help their viewership and expand their market, which will sell more tickets and jerseys. The 2026 World Cup will be one to remember as one of the most unique World Cups of all time.